I made this list for someone this week and thought I’d save and share it here.
- New New Journalism: Probably my favorite. Insight from the best writers/reporters in modern journalism.
- Storycraft: By former Oregonian ME and nationally known writing coach Jack Hart.
- Follow the Story: James Stewart, now of the New Yorker and author of several books.
- Telling True Stories: From Harvard’s Nieman Conference on Narrative Journalism.
- How to Write Short: By Poynter’s Roy Peter Clark and crafted for the digital era.
- The New Kings of Nonfiction: Ira Glass’ guide.
- The Art and Craft of Feature Writing: The Wall Street Journal approach. Classic but a little outdated now.
- Writing for Story: The classic from Jon Franklin. Bonus points: Franklin’s reading list for college journalists.
- The Art of Fact: An anthology of the best from Dickens to Didion.
And others for fun.